Chandigarh deputed Punjab Doctors’ repatriation again stirs up controversy
Taruni Gandhi, Chandigarh : Chandigarh health department has more than 112 Punjab cadre doctors who have been working here for more than a decade and have not been repatriated back to their home cadre for long. After agitation from the Chandigarh UT Cadre Doctors, UT Administration made a proposal to send back these doctors to the home cadre, which stirs up the controversy and political approaches hamper the procedure of repatriation.
Now, Shiromani Akali Dal too has raised strong objection to the proposal of UT Chandigarh Administration to send back 112 Punjab doctors working on deputation in Chandigarh and hire more doctors from other states and UTs and party termed this decision as a conspiracy to dilute state’s share in Chandigarh Administration and also announced that a SAD delegation will meet Union Home Minister to take up the issue.
Addressing a press conference party head office here today, Former Education Minister and party Spokesman Dr. Daljit Singh Cheema said that he was surprised to see that when Punjab leaders were busy in state Assembly elections, officers of UT Chandigarh hatched this conspiracy to send back 112 Punjab doctors to their parent state and gave in advertisement to hire doctors from Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Centre Government and other Union Territories for Chandigarh.
He said that this was a clear violation of the Punjab Reorganisation Act which states that Punjab and Haryana will depute administration on 60:40 ratio on Chandigarh.
SAD delegation to meet Union Home Minister to take up the matter
He said that this was not first time when such a conspiracy has been hatched to end Punjab’s share in the Administration of Chandigarh. He said that earlier too attempts were made by officials posted in Chandigarh by the Centre Government but when such proposals were opposed tooth and nail by Akali Dal, they were rolled back but surprisingly no one was punished for hatching such a conspiracy.
Citing examples, Former Punjab Education Minister said that in 2018 a proposal was mooted to recruit 468 JBT teachers for Chandigarh. He said that as per Punjab Reorganisation Act rules and regulations of Punjab are in force in Chandigarh, but officials not only gave exemption in provision of studying Punjabi as essential subject till 10th class, by they also allowed test in English and Hindi only thereby completely ignoring Punjabi.
He said that when he raised this issue with Punjab Government, an amended advertisement was issued by the Chandigarh Administration for same.
Dr. Cheema said that this was not enough, Chandigarh has recruitment more than 80 percent of staff for Education sector on its own whereas rules says that they have to be deputed by Punjab and Haryana in ratio of 60:40. He said that for even for remaining 20 percent staff Punjab was not getting its 12 percent share.
He also disclosed that as a Education Minister he had opposed shifting of Punjab teachers from Chandigarh in 2015 and had sent detailed report including list of subject wise teachers to Punjab Governor and Administrator Chandigarh asking him that Punjab was still to get 211 more posts apart from present ones at that time and had vehemently opposed their shifting.
Quoting a letter written by Former Punjab Governor SS Ray to the then Union Home Secretary, Dr. Cheema said that he had made it clear that Chandigarh should not be run like other UTs as it was a capital of Punjab.
He said that Chandigarh was carved out of land of Punjab villages and Punjab sacrificed only to get its own Capital. He said that instead of getting its Capital now conspiracies are being hatched to deny Punjab its share of 60 percent staff in Chandigarh.
The SAD leader was surprised that when there was no Assembly to frame new laws for Chandigarh and only Punjab’s rules are applicable in it, who was hatching conspiracies against state. He said that he has learned that now a file has been moved to implement Central rules for employees and remove Punjab rules which are applicable as per Punjab Reorganisation Act.
Dr. Cheema said that Akali Dal will not tolerate such conspiracies against the state and a delegation led by party President Mr. Sukhbir Singh Badal will meet Union Home Minister to take up issue with him. He said that we will not allow anyone to loot genuine share of Punjab.