India News, Chandigarh : The Union Health Ministry has conveyed the approval of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Department of Personnel & Training for appointment of Prof. Vivek Lal, Head, Department of Neurology, PGIMER, Chandigarh to the post of Director PGIMER, Chandigarh for a period of five years from the date of assumption of charge of the post, or until the incumbent attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
The appointment of the new Director has come after six months of retirement of Prof. Jagat Ram on 31.10.2021. Since then, the charge was held by Prof Surjit Singh, Head, Department of Pediatrics. Prof Vivek Lal was given a warm welcome by the faculty, administrative staff and various associations/unions of the Institute.
Soon after taking over the charge, Prof. Vivek Lal, who is also heading the Department of Neurology at PGIMER, said that he will try his level best to make PGI more patient friendly and will try to improve the working environment inside the Institute. According to him, PGI stands for the patients, by the patients and with the patients.
ABOUT PROF. VIVEK LAL
Born on 25th September 1963 , Prof. Lal did his MBBS (1985) from Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, Punjab. MD(1990) & DM Neurology (1993) from PGIMER, Chandigarh. Later on, he joined the Institute as Assistant Professor in 1994. He became Professor in 2009 and Head of the Department in 2014.
Recognized internationally Prof. Vivek Lal, has 30 years of teaching experience & approximately 170 Publications in Peer reviewed National and International Journals and Book Chapters to his credit. He mentored Numerous DM-Neurology; MD Medicine and PhD students as Chief guide and Co-guide. He delivered more than 100 lectures or talks worldwide. Organised many conferences, CMEs and public awareness campaigns for increasing awareness for neurological causes of blindness, their treatment and prevention.
Besides this Prof. Vivek Lal has worked as Principal Investigator in many research projects in the field of Neurology funded by ICMR, CSIO & PGIMER.
1. Global Program Director and Chairperson- Teaching Course, Neuro-ophthalmology
a. XXIII World Congress Neurology, Kyoto Japan; 2017
b. XXIIV World Congress Neurology, Dubai 2019
c. XXIV World Congress Neurology, Italy, Rome2021.
2. Visiting faculty to the University of Oxford, Medical ophthalmology Society (MOS), UK,
Nice, France, Kyiv, Ukraine, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam & Cairo, Egypt.
MEMBERSHIP OF INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL SCIENTIFIC BODIES
· Member of North American Neuro-ophthalmological society (NANOS)
· Member of Indian Academy of Neurology
· Member of Neurological society of India
· Fellow of Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh (FRCP- E)
· Fellow of Indian Academy of Neurology (FIAN)
· Member, Institute Body, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India.
- Editor in Chief of the book “A Clinical Approach to Neuro-ophthalmic Disorders” ( Taylor and Francis Publication)
- Associate Editor-Neuro-ophthalmology Journal; Taylor and Francis and European Journal of Neurology- Indian Edition
- Co-authored publication with Professor Louis Caplan, Professor of Neurology, Harvard Medical School (Lal and Caplan Neurology 2020)
Under the leadership of Prof. Vivek Lal, the department was designated as the Nodal centre for Post COVID-19 neurological complications and catered to patients from the entire region.